Wednesday, September 12, 2012

an intimate afternoon with Mr. Basil Valdez and Mr C

spent an intimate afternoon with music. Thanks to my best friends: Alan, who invited us to attend this 'workshop' at the Ryan Cayabyab Music School, and Susan, who convinced me to go, despite my hesitation & protests, and who generously paid for my seminar fee.

It wasn't really a seminar nor a workshop. It was more of a mini concert of Mr. Basil Valdez. Susan said "Up Close with Basil" would have been a more appropriate title for the event. Basil sang about ten to fifteen songs and shared not just his knowledge about music, but his life. He narrated how the song "Alfie" was the first song he learned and sang in auditions. ( I remember that Alfie was the first pop song I learned to play on the piano. My piano teacher made me play only classical pieces.)

Basil said he never made it to the Ateneo Glee Club nor to the UP College of Music. Those were his first rejections but his passion for singing did not discourage him. He pursued his singing career and joined the "Circus Band" where they sang in bars and travelled all over the world. His big break was when Mr. George Canseco asked him to record "Ngayon at Kailan Man", which was originally composed and sang for a wedding. While they recorded the song, Basil suffered from epiglotistitis and could not finish the last line of the song because he had difficulty breathing, was later confined at the hospital, where his doctor wanted to do a tracheostomy. He informed his doctor that he was a singer and the procedure could damage his vocal cords. Another possible deterrent to his musical career. Massive doses of antibiotics were administered without having to undergo the tracheostomy. His doctor did save his life, his life in music. His musical director and sound engineers had to edit the recording so the song can be finished.

Basil thought that the height of his career would be to perform at the Cultural Center of the Philippines. It wasn't. He and his long time musical arranger and best friend Mr. C, performed at the Carnegie Hall. What a feat!

After the fifteen minute break, music students of Mr. C sang for us. They were his music scholars. All of them were excellent. I particularly liked Gaby Vasquez ( daughter of Dr. Bubut Vasquez) who sang like a professional theatre performer. The other was Banjo Gonzalez, my son's former bandmate in 7 th grade at the Ateneo. Banjo, their lead vocalist belted, danced and jumped, to the tune of Van Halen's JUMP. According to Mr. C, Gaby Vasquez could be a future Lea Salonga and Banjo, a Buboy Garovillo of the APO Hking Society.

What a wonderful, peaceful and relaxing way to spend a Sunday afternoon, with best friends and music. I got a signed CD of Basil, compliments of Susan. (Susan and I have been friends since 1977. I remember saying hello to her while we both were in line during registration and enrollment at UP Diliman, as Freshmen. It's been that long.)

After that intimate afternoon of music, it made me think back on my wishes, all of which except one have become fulfilled dreams. Maybe I shall sing for Him in my next life.

betsisanders 2012

PS Thank you Susan for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment